January 22, 2019
Now, I know what you’re thinking. Coming from us? We must be bonkers. But, hear us out! To do good, meaningful and impactful social media, you need to be serious about it. Here are 8 reasons why you might want to reconsider your use of social media.
- If your audience isn’t there. For a start, if your audience is too young to be online, or generally too old to use social, social might not be for you. Then again, this could be a matter of looking at the platforms you use. People aged 65+ aren’t likely to be avid Instagrammers.
- If your website is terrible. Loads of brands use social media to successfully drive link clicks and website traffic. But you don’t want to pay to do great social, grab attention and get the customer to click that link, for them only to be met with a website that’s a pain to use, slow, boring or non-informative. There are so many resources out there to sort this one out. Once this is ticked off, you’re one step closer to social.
- If you’ve got budget issues. To do social media properly you need a blend of organic media to capture the audience you already have, and some paid media to capture the audience you want. It takes a lot of experience and know-how to get this combo right, so a lot of brands choose to hand it over to the experts at our agency, because it’s what we do best.
- If you don’t have a plan. You need a plan to make a start, let alone to make it work. Why does your brand need to do social media and what do you want to achieve with it? Set a goal that’s SMART – specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-bound. That way, you can understand exactly what you’re achieving and how you got there.
- If you aren’t prepared to meet your audience. Social media is a platform to talk to, interact with and engage your customers. If you’re not ready to get close and personal with your audience, then social might not be for you. But remember that it’s a great way to gain feedback, insights and new customers.
- If you could be seen as inauthentic. We all know that people love to call brands, celebrities and influencers out on social. Whether it’s a company that’s got a huge gender pay gap, a charity that pays its CEO a six-figure salary, or a brand claiming to be ethical but really pays employees minimum wage, people will call you out. Try to iron these things out before you go out on social and get outed.
- If you’re going to spam. Posting the same assets, or even the same salesy messaging every day won’t cut it. Your organic following won’t grow if they see the same thing day-in day-out. Social is a place to build reputation. If all you wanna do is sell, do it somewhere else!
- If you’re going to blend in. Social media is busy, it’s fast-paced, and it’s saturated with brands doing the same old thing. The only way to stand out in the crowd is to be bold, do something different and give people a reason to want to get to know your brand.
Don’t just throw a few posts here and there because you think you should. Think about how it can work alongside your other marketing activities, what you want your audience to do and whether your social media plan will contribute towards that. Social media is a smart tool that can work for many brands. Get in touch to see how we can make it work for you.