March 8th is International Women’s Day, and it marks one of the most important days of the year for organisations, communities and individuals to celebrate women’s achievements, raise awareness about women’s equality, lobby for accelerated gender parity and fundraise for female-focused charities.
We’ve collated some key information and examples of how to celebrate and support womanhood this IWD:
This year’s theme is #ChooseToChallenge:
This year’s challenge is all about choice. To choose to challenge gender bias and inequality. To choose to seek out and celebrate women’s achievements. And to choose to help create an inclusive world.
International Women’s Day is powered by the collective efforts of all. So raise a hand to let us know you’re in and commit to choose to challenge and call out inequality.
“I #ChooseToChallenge patriarchy because it suppresses women and does not let them reach their full potential” says Pratibha, a 10th grade student from a CRY project in Delhi.
— Child Rights and You (CRY) (@CRYINDIA) February 24, 2021
Support female-focused charities:
Support comes in all forms, and can be weaved into your day-to-day through your actions and words. But if you’re in the position to contribute to female-focused charities, here are some great options listed by IWD:
- World Association of Girl Guides & Girl Scouts (WAGGGS) is the largest international youth movement dedicated to girls and young women, supporting over 10 million girls across 150 countries and is an IWD Charity of Choice since 2007.
- Catalyst is a global nonprofit that works with over 800 companies around the world to build workplaces that work for women and is an IWD Charity of Choice since 2017.
- Equality Now helps create a just world where women and girls have the same rights as men and boys by tackling difficult issues, challenging ingrained cultural assumptions, calling out inequality, and using the power of the law to create enduring equality.
- Womankind Worldwide supports women’s rights organizations and movements to secure equal rights for women and girls so they can live without fear of violence, have a say in decisions that impact them, and control their own life.
- Dress for Success empowers women across the globe to achieve economic independence via a network of support, professional attire, and tools to help them thrive in work and life
There are many ways to support IWD. Participating in #ChooseToChallenge, donating to female-focused charities, delivering a female-focused activity, running a social media campaign, this list goes on. So if you’re looking to support in a way that suits you, here are some great resources to explore:
IWD is an important day to showcase commitment to women’s equality, launch new initiatives, celebrate women’s achievements and more. Join us in supporting #ChooseToChallenge on the 8th March.