Since its launch back in 2011 Snapchat has been particularly popular with the younger demographic, but is it now possible to integrate Snapchat into a brand’s marketing strategy?
For those who are not familiar with the app, it allows users to take pictures or short videos and send them to their contacts. But here’s the best part; once it is seen it disappears forever and gets deleted from the phone, app and Snapchat servers! Unlike other social networking sites that are public, Snapchat allows users the opportunity to form truly personal relationships with others and is a fun and innovative way of connecting. Even more importantly, there are no nasty surprises when someone chooses to share an embarrassing photo of you on other social platforms!
It is safe to say that the concept of Snapchat has definitely stunned many marketers who are used to dealing with social media networks that make a lasting impression, but like any other social media platform, Snapchat can be used to effectively reinforce brand identity and sales.
One frozen yogurt company in particular proved this to be the case. 16 Handles promoted their products via Snapchat and asked consumers to send pictures of their purchases, and in return they were rewarded with a Snapchat discount coupon. The best part of this marketing strategy was that the amount of discount received was only revealed once the snap had been opened at the point of sale. Everyone loves a discount and the element of surprise generated a vast amount of interest among consumers.
Here are a few other ways to use Snapchat to effectively engage interest:
1. Contests– sending snaps of clues and tips for people to win prizes
2. Discounts– sending out discounts helps build brand reputation and loyalty
3. Send insider marketing– reward loyal fans with exclusive images to create excitement and interest
4. Brand gamification– Snapchat can be used as a great way to create interest via a combination of gaming and gratification, offering prizes as well as directing users to other social sites
5. Event– encourage users to snap images and videos of an event to see how many people are having fun and sharing their experience with others.
Despite the lack of tangible results that surround this platform, it really allows brands the opportunity to be innovative with their marketing strategies and to get their message across in a fun and unique way.
Image courtesy of Flickr
© Snapchat . Logo.